3.20.2013

Guidelines for a Stay-Homer's Sanity - Part 2

-Disclaimer:  These are *Geoffrey Rush's Barbosa voice* "more guidelines than actual rules" and they are what I think will work best for our family.  Every family is different and so take these with a proverbial grain of salt.  To each mommy their own!-


It seems like a weird thing to make a personal rule, but each weekday I feel like it's important that I get up and shower and dress the same way I would if I were going to go to work.  Before anyone gives me the hairy eyeball about wearing "work clothes" every day, let it be known that my previous workplace had a casual dress code (i.e. nice jeans and tops).

If we're not going anywhere that day, I sans the make-up and an impractical hair-do while dealing with a very grabby nearly nine month old. Oh, and the shoes.  Who wears shoes around the house I ask you?  I'm sure there are those who do, but we're the barefeet type of people.  If I do have errands to run, then I'll usually throw a little light make-up on and of course add shoes to the ensemble.

So, why, you ask?  If you're staying home, who do you have to dress up for?  Well, no one really, but harkening back to Rule #1, routines are important and being clean and presentable fosters self esteem, self confidence and motivation.  Bumming around in jammies sounds pretty awesome, not to mention comfortable, but what do you really do in jammies?  Sleep.  What do you do when you're showered, dressed and all kinds of presentable?  You go places, you see people, you do things!

The mind is an interesting place where we can create all kinds of self-fulfilling prophecies.  So trick it into predicting that you will be a dynamic, productive, kick-butt kind of person and, more often than not, you will be!

As an added note, notice I said "weekdays" at the beginning of this post.  Weekends have rules all their own (look for more in Rule #4) and they do not include getting out of those jammies if you don't want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment